21st June, 2017 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Dr Tony Anosike, Centre for Supply Chain Improvement, College of Business, Law and Social Sciences, University of Derby
Dr. Jose Arturo Garza-Reyes, Centre for Supply Chain Improvement, College of Business, Law and Social Sciences, University of Derby
INNOVATION IN BUSINESS AND OPERATIONS
The purpose of this workshop is to introduce participants to the TRIZ innovation technique. TRIZ is a problem solving method based on logic and data, not intuition, which accelerates the project team’s ability to solve problems creatively. This technique has been widely used by successful organisation such as Samsung, Intel Corporation, among others, to develop innovative products, services and business models and/or solve problems in these. TRIZ is a Russian acronym which when translated into English means ‘Theory of Inventive Problem Solving’. TRIZ offers a wide range of innovation methodologies and tools to facilitate innovation and problem solving.
In the first day of the workshop, participants will be introduced to a TRIZ tool called ‘Trends of Evolution’. The trends of evolution toolset is based on the premise that there are patterns in the way in which systems, businesses and processes evolve, and these patterns can be identified and mapped. Participants will learn how to use the trends of evolution to identify the innovation potential of their businesses as a whole, part of their businesses, an operation, process or specific activities. Participants will also learn how to use the tool to identify innovation step(s) that they could follow in any these areas.
In the second day of the workshop, participants will be introduced to ‘Contradiction elimination tools’ in TRIZ. Contradictions occur when organisations are faced with trade-off situations that force them to compromise on the options or parameters. TRIZ tools have the potential to eliminate contradictions so participants can develop their own win-win solutions.
WORKSHOP DAY 1
- Introduction to TRIZ
- Introduction to Trends of Evolution
- Introduction to Innovation Potential Analysis using Trends of Evolution
- Hands on practice activity on Innovation Potential Analysis
- Learn how to identify the innovation potential of your business as a whole, part of your business, an operation, process or specific activities.
- Learn how to identify the innovation step(s) you can make in any these areas.
WORKSHOP DAY 2
- Introduction to a TRIZ
- Introduction to trade-offs and contradictions
- Introduction to Contradiction elimination tools
- Introduction TRIZ inventive principles
- Hands on practice on contraction elimination
- Learn how to identify contradictions in your business as a whole, part of your business, an operation, process or specific activities
- Learn how to identify strategies to help you to eliminate the contradictions.